It is great to roast the tomatoes and freeze them in the summer. I had two 6′ bushes this summer and made a lot of frozen tomatoes. This is the easiest recipe to make and you can add some to your new roasted tomatoes.
It is an easy process, but looks complicated. I told my mom that I was making tomato soup and she thought I was doing some amazing cooking. Here are the easy steps.
Amy Hetager, Beneficial Farms CSA Blogger
1. Add the tomatoes to a roasting pan with olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and an Italian seasoning (make your own with equal parts basil and parsley with marjoram and sage mixed). Roast on 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
2. Let the tomatoes cool. Add them to a pot with all the juice. Cook until boiling, then shut off the heat.
3. Use a blender in the pan. This will help release some of the flavor of the skins into the soup.
4. Ladle the soup into a strainer to remove the seeds and skins.
5. Cook the soup and add honey and balsamic vinegar to taste.
Enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich.