Arugula is one of those vegetables that always generates a lot of discussion. Some people love it and some do not care for the peppery flavor. I am in the first camp, where I love it and actually grow it to keep a fresh stock if we don’t receive in a CSA share.
We had some great arugula recipe entries earlier this year and I have posted the links below for your ease in finding them. You can always enter “arugula” into the search function and find them as well. Just click on the links that come up in the search and scroll down to see them.
Amy Hetager, CSA Blogger
Awesome Past Posts for Arugula
Recipes from Kym
Arugula in Recipe for the Day from “The World’s Healthiest Foods” site:
Prep and Cook Time: Prep: 20 min; Cooking: 25 min; Chill: 1 hr
- 1 cup dried green lentils, (you want to end up with 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups water
- 3oz canned/jar roasted bell peppers (or you can roast yourself), chopped
- 2 TBS finely minced onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- ∏ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula, chopped
- salt & cracked black pepper to taste
- Wash lentils, remove any foreign matter, and drain.
- Combine lentils, 2 cups lightly salted water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook at low temperature for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are cooked but still firm. Cook gently so lentils don’t get mushy. When done, drain any excess water, and lightly rinse under cold water. Continue to drain excess water.
- Mince onion and press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting benefits.
- Place lentils in a bowl and add peppers, onion, garlic, basil, walnuts, vinegar and 2 TBS olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Marinate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Toss arugula with 2 TBS olive oil, 1 TBS lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve on plate with lentils.
Printer Friendly Version of Mediterranean Lentil Salad
In-Depth Nutritional Profile for Mediterranean Lentil Salad