Good morning. We had a few updates on rutabagas and persimmons. Some of you mentioned that you froze the persimmon pulp for later use. Keep the tips and recipes coming.
- Member Eric used persimmons to marinate chicken. This is a great tip for those of you looking for savory recipes.
- I made persimmon muffins from the recipe on the PERSIMMON page. The cooking time was about 30 minutes for the muffins. Here is the link
I made the rutabaga bread this week. I cubed the rutabaga and boiled for 30-40 minutes. Then I placed in the blender with some of the cooking water. The bread makes nice toast with pomegranate jam in the morning. I added comments to that entry for a few changes. Here they are again.
1. The recipe calls for a small loaf pan so check yours before you make the batter. I doubled the recipe for 1 loaf.
2. I cut back on the sugar by 1/3 cup
3. The bread is moist, but missing a little zing. I would have added currants or cranberries as well as pecans.
See you at distribution.
Amy Hetager, CSA blogger